I chose to call my blog "Fresh Eyes on Fresno" because I am new to the community and will be sharing a "fresh" perspective while creating a life in the sixth largest city in California, which by the way, totally surprised me. Fresno has 500,000 people who call it home and I am very happy to call it mine, too!

The other reason being that Fresno County is the richest and most productive agricultural region in the United States, brought to us "fresh" daily through the vast number of farmer's markets and vegetable fruit stands!
How lucky are we!

Return to Index

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Local Smocal!

I was never one to get all caught up in "buying local".  But, for some reason, living in Fresno has made be become a little crazy about making sure I do "buy local".  I guess it's because the San Joaquin Valley has so many wonderful products to offer!

I'm finding myself reading labels and asking people "is this made locally"? My desire to "support our local economy" is becoming my mantra!  I know that many of you out there have, probably, been a local supporter for a long time - I salute you!  So, you've got to be excited to have another member on your team, right?

I think the biggest reason for my "local awareness" are all the farmer's markets and fruit and vegetable stands I pass everyday!  And, I do mean everyday!  When I buy from these growers, it feels good, knowing I'm supporting hard working farmers that live in my community!

And, they inspire me to make jam and can tomatoes, something I've never done before!

I think the other reason is the people here in Fresno! I have lived all over California my entire life, exceot for an 8-year stint in Phoenix, and never have I met such genuine, friendly people!  I seem to make a friend everyday!  They make me want to support the jobs they have and the impact they make! I am very lucky to live in this community and this community of wonderful people!

Thanks, Fresno, for inspiring me to support all things local!

No comments:

Post a Comment