I chose to call my blog "Fresh Eyes on Fresno" because I am new to the community and will be sharing a "fresh" perspective while creating a life in the sixth largest city in California, which by the way, totally surprised me. Fresno has 500,000 people who call it home and I am very happy to call it mine, too!

The other reason being that Fresno County is the richest and most productive agricultural region in the United States, brought to us "fresh" daily through the vast number of farmer's markets and vegetable fruit stands!
How lucky are we!

Return to Index

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Music and Cinnamon Rolls!

Saturday night my husband, Michael, and I went to Rockstir, an event to promote the local businesses in the RiverView Shopping Center at Friant and Fort Washington.  One of the sponsors was my husband's workplace, Catalyst Marketing - go Catalyst!

The "Rock" part of Rockstir was supplied by two bands, Fresno Undercover and IYAZ!  Fresno Undercover performs on Sundays, 2:00pm at the Elbow Room and are terrific!  They play current hits, country, and heavy rock. Their lead singer, Marie, is fantastic!  Check them out on myspace.com/undercoverfresno and you can hear samples of their music.

IYAZ was the other band - hip/hop!  We were unable to stay to hear them, but heard great comments about them as well!

"Stir" was provided by Budweiser and The Standard Restaurant and Lounge.

Food was delish - Chapala and Lassen's Natural Foods.

And, drum roll please!, a fashion show by She She Women's Boutique with the Budweiser Girls as models!

Lots of fun!  Evidently, a yearly event, so put it on your calendar for next year!

Sunday morning, we were off to the Fresno State Fair!  I can't tell you how many people told me that I HAD to get a cinnamon roll at the fair!  I was so tired of hearing the suggestion, I almost didn't get one just because!  What a mistake I would've made - the cinnamon rolls were "cin-ful"! Fat and gooey and so yummy!  My only disappointment was that I didn't have anymore room for a funnel cake!

We really enjoyed the fair, more than we thought!  It's huge with lots to see and experience!  Our favorite venue was the horse races!  We stood at the fence right at the finish line!  What an amazing experience to see these beautiful creatures racing towards us, and the incredible sound of their hooves slamming the ground as they pass the finish line! Wow!

The agriculture building was really impressive, seeing the incredible variety of fruits and vegetables that Fresno County produces and supplies to the United States is really something to be proud of!

Then there were the quilts!  Being a quilter, I particularly, loved seeing all of them hanging from the rafters!  We have some pretty amazing quilt artists in the San Joaquin Valley, and they've got ribbons to prove it!

The most difficult area for me to see were the displays of award winning homemade pies, cakes, breads and cookies!  Difficult because they lookied so scrumptious and tantalizing.  Here they were, sitting on plates inviting us all to have a a bite, but it wasn't permitted!  I think next year they should consider a "sampling" area for those of us with a sweet tooth!

My husband enjoyed the gem and jewelry building and we both loved seeing the fine artists and photographers our valley has to offer!

State Fairs are always fun, but I think ours is one of the best!

1 comment: